birding-aus

Yuletide observations from Bobbin Head Rd, Turramurra, northern Sydney

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Yuletide observations from Bobbin Head Rd, Turramurra, northern Sydney
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 17:41:14 +1100
Hi All
have spent the last two days at home with the Christmas Holidays and thus a bit of time on the deck reading/listening to cricket. Yesterday (25 Dec), singles of Peregrine Falcon, Brown Goshawk, Sparrowhawk seen at various points in the day. Goshawk and Sparrowhawk mid-morning; Peregrine about 3pm. Peregrine was in moult - missing at least 2 central tail feathers (but no chance of mistaking it for a giant Fork Tailed Swift). Just needed a Grey Goshawk and I would have had all 4 common raptors for my place in a day - still haven't managed that. Today (26 Dec), after being noticeable by their absence, I saw several small parties of White Throated Needletails and then, at 5pm, the first bigger group of swifts seen for year from house - approx 75-100 birds feeding quite low down in a tight feeding flock. The air was very still as the N/Ely wind that had been blowing through Sydney had really died off. Also an immature WB Sea Eagle flew northwards over house approx 5:15pm. Presumably heading towards Bobbin Head/Broken Bay, but coming from where?
Wonder what will turn up tomorrow?
Cheers
Tom Wilson