birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 19 Dec 2011 01:30:29 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 18 Dec 2011.

Sun 18 Dec Spotless Crakes (15) Shanes PArk Air Services Land (approx 10 km W of Blacktown CBD)
This morning, Mark and I made a visit to Shanes Park and saw/heard at least 15 Spotless Crakes at the large swamp there. We had excellent but brief views of a few individuals as they appeared out in the open while moving between vegetation. Also present at Shanes Park were 3 Common Bronzewings, White-winged Trillers, Pallid, Shining and Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoos, Speckled Warbler, lots of Brown-headed Honeyeaters, and Scarlet Honeyeaters were numerous all over the site. Attach is a pic (could be better!) of one of the Spotless Crakes seen.
Edwin Vella and Mark Fuller

Cicadabird Sydney Olympic Park
I was leaving the Brickpit, southside at around 6pm where I observed a Cicadabird and a White Winged Triller high up in a Eucalypt. Also got an odd view of a Nankeen Kestrel. I was on the ringwalk looking down on the kestrel looking down on the pit pond below.
Kerry Allen

Gould's Petrel Offshore Terrigal
40kms off Terrigal. Birds were generally quiet, far fewer Jaegers that last week! 1 Arctic Jaeger in close, several Pomarine and Long-tailed outside. 1 Gould's Petrel, 1 Wandering Albatross, several Shy type and Black-browed, 2 Great-winged Petrels, 10+ Wilson's and White-faced Storm-petrels, 4 Flesh-footed Fhearwaters the highlights!
Tim Faulkner

Sat 17 Dec Mallee Fowl Woggoon Nature Reserve - Condobolin
1 male bird seen tending a mound. Other birds present were Painted Honey-eater, Shy Heathwren, Mulga Parrot, Yellow Plumed Honey- eater, Splendid Fairywren and Crested Bellbird. Site is 40 km North of Condo on Cobar Rd. Still small numbers of Painted HE at various sites reported last week.
Warren Chad

Little Terns & Hooded Plovers Lions Park. Dolphin Point . Burrill Lake .
The L.Terns nest with 2 eggs was washed away by high tides on Wednesday at the entrance of the Lake as was the Hoodies nest 4 weeks previous. Both species are still hanging around so we are still hoping for success in the near future. On Fri 16 at our annual xmas bird outing the Lions Park , 62 species were seen in 2 1/2 hrs including 6 Latham Snipe at the fresh water dam 200 mtrs away in Bada Cres Dolphin Point
bob rusk

Cicadabird, Square-tailed Kite, Glossy Black-Cockatoo St. Georges Basin, nr. Jervis Bay
I've just returned from a couple of days at a friend's property at St. Georges Basin where I saw a male Cicadabird, a Square-tailed Kite circle above, and a family of 3 Glossy Black-Cockatoos feeding contentedly in a Casuarina. I also heard a Brush Cuckoo.
Paul Johnstone

White-plumed Honeyeater Rockdale
White-plumed Honeyaters again in good numbers today, dozens of New Hollands too,Grey & Chestnut Teal abundant,Red Wattlebirds everywhere, Superb Fairy-wrens in good numbers, usual White Ibis, Little Pied Cormorants, three or four Figbirds and two Olive-backed Orioles again.
ChrisPollard

Little Tern Penhryn esturary
Two birds sighted flying over the new sand island.
Peter Mackey

Fri 16 Dec Little Tern, Red-capped Plover Karagi Point, The Entrance
Seven pairs of Little Terns were found nesting within the newly fenced area at the Karagi Point sandspit, this is down on recent years with about 26 pairs nesting there last year. (I would be interested in hearing from any one as to whether the colonies at Towra Point or Swansea have increased at our expense?). Other birds present included 65 non breeding Little Terns, 2 Pied Oystercatchers, 9 Caspian Terns, 4 Red-capped Plover & 14 Bar-tailed Godwits.
Alan Morris, Christina Port, Gavin Scott et al

Variegated Fairy-Wren Mosman [track above Taylor's Bay]
Amongst lots of 'dirt birds', a male Variegated Wren. I was off my turf: locals may not be surprised.
Ted Nixon

Thu 15 Dec Australian Spotted Crake, Baillon's Crake, Spotless Crake Boomoonoomana Wetlands (between Mulwala and Barooga)
Great numbers of crakes seen at the wetlands, 5 Australian Spotted, 3 Baillon's and 1 Spotless Crake. At one stage all three species were seen together on the edge of large rushes.
Michael Ramsey

Wed 14 Dec Little Button-quail Maryvale 10' Cell
Little Button-quail with 6 young walking along end of road.
Neville Schrader

Freckled Duck, Magpie Goose Corowa Sewage Ponds
2 Freckled Duck were observed with a number of other waterfowl on the large northern pond. A pair of Magpie Geese also observed here.
Michael Ramsey

Black-faced Woodswallow Kentucky State Forest, Balldale
A single bird was observed with Dusky Woodswallows on the western edge of the forest. Quite a southerly record, usually found further north beyond Urana on the saltbush plains.
Michael Ramsey

White-throated Nightjar, Glossy-Black Cockatoo Somerset, Colo Valley
Two WTNJ were observed hawking for insects over an open area on the property at dusk. Possibly more calling. A group of 4 Glossy Blacks were also present in the valley. Other observations on the 15th and 16th included Gang Gang Cockatoo, Powerful Owl (heard), Scarlet Honeyeater and Rainbow Bee-eater.
Henry Coleman

White-winged Triller Ebor Falls Picnic area.
White-winged Triller (2) M & F clearly seen in lookout area
Neville Schrader

Tue 13 Dec Grey Goshawk (White phase) Australian Botanic Gardens Mount Annan, Campbelltown
One male caught and banded in the Woodland Conservation area of the Australian Botanic Gardens, Mount Annan, Campbelltown.
Alan Leishman

Long-tailed Jaeger and Shy (type) Albatross Mistral Point, Maroubra
Logged today : 9 Long-tailed Jaeger, 7 Pomarine Jaeger, 1 Shy (type) Albatross, 6 Black-browed Albatross, 5 Common Terns (feeding all day), 1 Fluttering Shearwater, 500 Short-tailed Shearwaters and 2 Australasian Gannets.
David Mitford, Ray Gobbe and Fiona Brook

Superb Parrot 4 & 14km West of Nevertire (both private property)
I saw 1 on the 11th, however today I saw 4 then 2 flocks of about 8. This is the first time i have seen them out this way since July (I was away in August)
Steven Edwards

Sun 11 Dec Little Shearwater 30kms Offshore from Terrigal
Didn't quiet reach the shelf and birds were generally quiet. Highlights included Little Shearwater, White-faced and Wilson's Storm-petrels (1of each), Arctic (2-3), Long-tailed (2-3) and Pomarine Jaegers (20). Many Short-tailed shearwaters and few wedge-tails amongst them, 2 fluttering shearwaters, 1 Juv Black-browsed albatross all day!
Tim Faulkner

Red-backed Button-quail Indian Head Crowdy Bay National Park
At least one bird found along the coastal track between Indian and Diamond Heads. We had good and prolonged views of the bird which was having trouble walking since it had lost most of the right foot and only left the track when we went to pass it. A second likely Button-quail was also seen along the track but the sighting was too short to make a good ID apart from the fact it was very small.
Sue Proust and Peter West

Sat 10 Dec Little Pied Cormorant Epping
Little Pied Cormorant (1) Surprise bird of my week, sitting on a suburban rooftop in Dunlop St, Epping. Its front was stained orange & it was preening frequently.
Jenny Stiles

Painted Honey-Eater Condobolin
Half a dozen birds still around Derriwong tip 20 km East of Condo. 4-6 birds 7 km East on Lachlan Valley Way, near mailbox with " West Borambil " name, also on West Wyalong Rd 15 km out near white drum mailbox with " Melody" name. Last two sites are Myall/Boree scrub with grey mistletoe flowering and fruiting.Birds are hard to find unless calling.
Warren Chad

Wed 7 Dec Superb Parrot Narrandera 10' Cell
Superb Parrot (15) Feeding beside the Newell Highway, 7km east of Narrandera
Nat Doecke

Tue 6 Dec Black Falcon Maryvale 10' Cell
Black Falcon (1) flying over wheat field being harvested.
Neville Schrader

Superb Parrot 5km south of Molong
Superb Parrot, 2 flying east.
Neville Schrader

Freckled Duck, Blue-billed Duck, Rufous Songlark Dangars Lagoon
Freckled Duck (2) Two adults, with possibly two half grown young sheltering in reeds from wind.. Blue-billed Duck Rufous Songlark
Neville Schrader

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe