birding-aus

Helmeted Friarbird races in NT

To: martin cachard <>, "" <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: Helmeted Friarbird races in NT
From: David James <>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:31:12 -0800 (PST)
Hi Martin,

this is a good question, and I don't have an answer. On the IOC website the
only footnote I found to the taxonomy of this group is as follows:

"Status of Philemon yorki uncertain whether endemic ne AU species
or conspecific with Papuan Friarbird (Sibley and Monroe 1990, Boles and
Christidis 2008, P.Gregory comments)."

That is not very informative. I interpret it that the many subspecies of the
former Helmeted Friarbird were split into two species (Papuan and Helmeted)
both with many subspecies, and whoever did that originally  did not look too
closely at yorki. C&B did not have much to say. Schodde & Mason kept Helmeted
and Papuan as 1 species, but with reservations. Driskell & Christidis (2004)
did some mollecualr studies but did not find enough to change the prevailing
taxonomy.

This lack of clarity and consensus raises an important issue that I intend
working to address. If we want to adopt an international checklist system (IOC
or another) as the basis for an Australian checklist we should:

1) follow that checklist system fully and not make various exceptions on a whim
or preference (or else why use an international system?)
2) develop a system whereby there is official Australian input into the
taxonomy and names of Australian birds (endemics and near endemics in
particular)  adopted in the parent checklist, whilst adhering to the system
rules.

I see it as a 'horse and cart' issue: firstly we must join a parent system,
then develop an input process, then address things like  out-dated common names
(Maned Duck for e.g.) and taxonomic anomalies like the friarbirds and
Red-collared Lorikeet. The IOC have shown  potentially that they would be open
to this sort of input and collaboration. However, it will take time and proceed
step by step, if at all. Alas, such a process will not deliver taxonomic
research that is aimed to resolve the most pressing or obscured issues in a
systematic fashion.

At least it seems that many on Birding-Aus are in favour of this path.

David James,
Jakarta