birding-aus

Helmeted Friarbird races in NT

To: <>, birding-aus threads <>, david james <>
Subject: Helmeted Friarbird races in NT
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 19:14:14 +1100
Hi Russ & others The sandstone bird (ammitophila) is fairly easy to see atop of
Gunlom in Kakdu NP & I also had them in nearby Koolpin Gorge. I didn't see them
at Nourlangie Rock to the north, but did see some at nearny Gubara. So I guess
you could say that it is fairly widespread on the escarpment areas. The
coastal/mangrove bird (gordoni) I found to be quite common around Darwin at a
great deal of sites. However, I wouldn't say that this bird is anywhere near as
common as the Hornbill Friarbird (yorki) is around Cairns where I live. I have
a question though - why is it that the NE Qld bird yorki has been split as a
full species, especially from the coastal NT gordoni? I am no taxonomist, but I
would have thought that the escarpment frequenting ammitophila was more
distinct when compared to both gordoni & the newly split yorki, which at least
structurally to my eye, appear more closely related to one another... Any
thoughts anyone ...?? Cheers Martin Cachard,Cairns, 0428 782
  808