birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 12 Dec 2011 01:31:17 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Dec 2011.

Sat 10 Dec Cinnamon Bittern South of Broome , Western Australia
Whilst driving south of Broome over the weekend Chris Hassell, Nick Ward etal were driving along when they noticed a Brown Falcon take flight off the side of the road carrying a medium sized bird with long legs. The bird circled and landed behind them just off the road. They reversed the car and the Falcon again took flight leaving the prey on the ground. The prey turned out to be a very freshly killed Adult Male Cinnamon Bittern. The bird was taken back home and will be sent to the Museum. Its a great specimen and is the first mainland Australian record. And before yet another debate starts up on how this bird made it to Australian yes we are aware that it has clearly been Brown Falcon assisted. Photos of the dead bittern can be found at the below link along with a few photos of a live bird photographed last year on Christmas Island.
per Adrian Boyle, Chris Hassell, Nick Ward etal

Large Hawk-Cuckoo, Mugimaki Flycatcher, Gadwall, Eye-browed Thrush, Rosy Starling & Watercock Cocos, Cocos-Keeling Islands
Cocos is still turning up vagrants with a couple more species added since my last update. We've had a few sightings of LARGE HAWK-CUCKOO over the last two days and Asian Koel has been seen daily around town. The MEGAMAKI FLYCATCHER (Mugimaki Flycatcher), as we've now named it, was still on Home Island yesterday and the GADWALL was photographed on West Island again this morning. EYE-BROWED THRUSH seem to be everywhere we go, with another two located on Direction Island yesterday. A ROSY STARLING was photographed by our group this afternoon and WATERCOCK are still on Home Island. CHINESE SPARROWHAWK (Chinese Goshawk) has also been sighted again since my last update.
Per Richard Baxter

Fri 9 Dec Rosy Starling West Island, Cocos-Keeling Islands
Pam Jones, a local on West Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, photographed a juvenile Rose-coloured Starling (Rosy Starling) this afternoon.
Pam Jones per Rohan Clarke

Wed 7 Dec Large Hawk-Cuckoo West Island, Cocos-Keeling Islands
A Large Hawk-Cuckoo was photographed flying over the airstrip on West Island, Cocos Islands last night. The only previous Australian records are several on the Cocos Islands during the 2010/2011 wet season and a single record from Christmas Island (Dec 2005)
Pam Jones per Rohan Clarke

Eurasian Hoopoe Roebuck Plains Roadhouse, Western Australia
The Hoopoe is still occasionally around on the lawns in front of the caravan park. First seen at 10.45am. After 15 minutes or so the bird flew away to the south.
Gina Hopkins

White-winged Triller Herdsman Lake, Perth, Western Australia
White-winged Triller (3) Male and female seen feeding chick on southern side of Herdsman Lake close to wildlife centre.
Bruce Wedderburn

Tue 6 Dec Mugamaki Flycatcher, Gadwall, Eye-browed Thrush Cocos-Keeling Islands, Cocos-Keeling Islands
We've been on Cocos for three days now and its turning out to be another spectacular year for vagrants, following on from last summer. In three days we've seen: 1 x Yellow Bittern, 2 x Pin-tailed Snipe, 1 x Silver-backed Needletail, 3 x (maybe as many as 7) Eye-browed Thrush 2 x Chinese Sparrowhawk (Chinese Goshawk), 1 x GADWALL (First Aust Record) 1 x MUGAMAKI FLYCATCHER ( First Aust Record), 3 x Watercock, 2 x Asian Koel, 1 x Asian House Martin, 1 x Pond Heron sp?
per Richard Baxter

Mon 5 Dec Gadwall West Island , Cocos-Keeling Islands
A GADWALL was seen on West Island Cocos yesterday afternoon.
Per Richard Baxter

Birdline Western Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe