birding-aus

Unusual Tawny Frogmouth Behaviour

To: <>
Subject: Unusual Tawny Frogmouth Behaviour
From: "Graeme Gallienne" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:28:18 +1000
Hi all,

Today at about 1100am whilst working in my kitchen I noticed a bird flutter
to the ground.  On finding my binoculars, I discovered it was a brown Tawny
Frogmouth - it had been lying on the ground for about a minute with wings
widespread and head lowered and I at first wondered whether it was injured
or sick.  After about a minute it was joined by another bird which adopted
the same posture and then another bird (both grey) - all up three
individuals were lying on the ground with outstretched wings in a small
sunny patch beneath some trees.  Then after about 5 minutes, one by one,
each bird sat up for about a further minute, looked around and then flew up
to a roosting perch (where they are still perched even now at 4.15pm).  A
fourth bird (grey) flew across the other three as they sat up but did not
join them on the ground.

My guess is that this is a family group and the behaviour was to enable the
birds to warm up their body temperature after the recent rain and
unseasonably cold weather experienced in SEQ in the past few days but would
like to hear others comments.

Cheers,

Sandra Gallienne