birding-aus

Common Koel in Broome

To: Adrian Boyle <>
Subject: Common Koel in Broome
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 21:54:06 +0800

Interesting. I haven't spent that much time in Broome in the wet season. I have heard a Koel at Nimilaica Claypan once, and I saw one at the golf course, so I just assumed that they were reasonably common around town. These records were quite a few years ago. I think I was staying in town the time I saw it at the golf course, so it is probably not in the BBO logs. Can't remember if I was with anyone when I heard the one at Nimalaica, or where I was staying.

I have never seen or heard one anywhere near the BBO where I have spent quite a bit of time in the wet season, but that is pindan and so I assumed just the wrong habitat. I must admit that I have never heard one at the sewage ponds which are fairly close to the golf course.