birding-aus

Koel & Nightjar, Gibraltar Range, N. NSW

To: <>
Subject: Koel & Nightjar, Gibraltar Range, N. NSW
From: "Simon Clayton" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 17:56:56 +1100
Hi All,

Koel and White-throated Nightjar have been calling at their fullest for the
first time this season. This is at least 6 weeks later than most years, and
I wondered if anyone else had experienced a delay in these species making
their presence known? I've also seen fewer Needletail Swifts than previous
years so far.

I should mention that I run a commercial business to support a rather
valuable patch of Australian land, carrying over a dozen listed threatened
(NSW TSC Act) bird species, adjacent to a World Heritage listed IBA. I was
hoping to get some support from the members of this mailing list. I've had
some very supportive responses, but not as much attention as the Hoopoe has.

I hope this doesn't cause too many problems for the anti-commercial brigade.
After all, where we spend our money plays a big part in our environmental
and social outcomes for future generations.

I too have received emails to support a Lyrebird documentary, and am happy
to be involved. I feel that promoting interest in our biodiversity has
useful social outcomes. These emails seem like a very small activity
compared to some of the actions occurring in much of the rest of the world.

Kind Regards,

Simon Clayton

Manager

Birdrangers, Gibraltar Reserve