birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 31 Oct 2011 01:30:18 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 30 Oct 2011.

Sun 30 Oct Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Baillon's Crake Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
3 Yellow-billed Spoonbill's circling over the wetlands, plus 1 Baillon's Crake
Brendan Sheean, Scott Ryan & Darcy Ginty

Nankeen Night-Heron Callum Brae Nature Reserve
1 Nankeen Night-Heron flushed on side of dam by Darcy.
Brendan Sheean, Scott Ryan & Darcy Ginty

Australian Painted Snipe Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
2 Australian Painted Snipe, both females I believe, feeding out in the open for an extended period (although I had to wait 30-40 minutes before they showed). On several occasions they displayed bluff posture - spread wings and tail raised - towards White Ibis that got too close, causing ibis to jump in the air. Remarkably effective for a small bird to a much larger one!
Frank Antram

Black-tailed Native-hen Coree, Uriarra Road/Mountain Creek Road junction
The Black-tailed Native-hen seen by Alastair Smith on Friday was still present.
Frank Antram

Masked Woodswallow Callum Brae Nature Reserve
Masked Woodswallow (1) female
Alastair Smith

Sat 29 Oct Pallid Cuckoo, Satin Flycatcher Tharwa Sandwash, Gigerline Nature Reserve
1 noisy Pallid Cuckoo calling, plus 4 Satin Flycatcher's.
Brendan Sheean, Scott Ryan

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Mt Tennent, Namadgi National Park
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (1), seen at 4pm.
Brendan Sheean, Scott Ryan

Spotted Quail-thrush Chalet Rd nr Bendora Hut, Brindabella Range
Two birds.
David McDonald

Pilotbird, Rose Robin Old Mill Rd, Brindabella Ranges
Observed on COG's Blitz, calls of two Pilotbirds and call of one Rose Robin 35 21 34S, 148 48 50E
David McDonald

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
2 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers on Pond 5 - lovely close views with the late afternoon sun on them. Other highlights were 2 Black-fronted Dotterel, 2 male Blue-billed Ducks and 2 Sacred Kingfishers.
Frank Antram

Buff-banded Rail Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
Rail observed in the paddock between ponds 1-3 and remaining ponds. Also 2 Eastern Brown snakes.
Alastair Smith

White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Latham's Snipe Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
White-bellied Sea-Eagle (1) immature being chased by A. Ravens. Also 3 Latham's Snipe observed though there was no sign of the Australian Painted Snipe.
Alastair Smith, Frank Antram

Superb Parrot Hawker Softball Fields
At least 2 birds - possibly 3. Very relaxed - I got within 2m to take a photo on my phone (see attached). Eating in the flowering Eucs. Quite active and noisy.
Jennifer Smits

Fri 28 Oct Brown goshawk Kama reserve
A pair of brown goshawks seem to be nesting on the far side track next to the dam
Roger Williams

Australian Painted Snipe Kellys Swamp
At about 1700h a single Painted Snipe feeding on the western shore of Kellys Swamp behind the ‘perching log’ which is visible on the left as one scans the swamp from Cygnus hide. Distance, light and lack of scope made positive gender id difficult but I think it was a male.
Leo Berzins

Black-tailed Native-hen, Buff-banded Rail Coree, Uriarra Road/Mountain Creek Road junction
Single Black-tailed Native-hen and Buff-banded Rail observed at the farm dam on Mountain Creek Road.
Alastair Smith

Brown Songlark Uriarra Road
Brown Songlark (1) heard on the side of Uriarra Road.
Alastair Smith

Cicadabird, Crested Shrike-tit, Olive Whistler, Bassian Thrush Blundells Creek, Warks Road, Namadgi National Park
A red letter day on Warks Road, starting with the best dawn chorus I have heard in the ACT. An Olive Whistler observed at close range singing to a juvenile male Golden Whistler. Also observed was a male Cicadabird with a second bird heard; 2 Crested Shrike-tit, 3 Bassian Thrush (1 seen; 2 heard); Red-browed Treecreeper 2 Crescent Honeyeater at least 4 Pilotbird (probably double that number 1 seen; at least 3 more heard) and about 8 Eastern Whipbirds heard (again could have been double that number).
Alastair Smith

Thu 27 Oct Australian Pelican Aranda Oval
13 Australian Pelicans were soaring over Aranda at 12:00 today. They were gaining altitude so looked more like they were leaving than arriving. After about 5 minutes they disappeared to the northwest. This species has been very scarce in the area this year.
Milburn

Mon 24 Oct White-browed and Masked Woodswallows Wybalena Grove Cook
At 6.30pm a flock of c. 40 Woodswallows, mostly White-browed, couple of Masked, flew over heading north-west, then another smaller flock at 6.40pm.
Nicki Taws

Brown Songlark Harrison
A male this morning on a dam wall at the edge of a busy construction site at Harrison, Gungahlin.
Ian Fraser

Eastern Whipbird, Rufous Fantail Blundells Creek, Warks Road, Namadgi National Park
2 Eastern Whipbirds and 1 Rufous Fantail seen along Blundells Creek/Warks Rd
Brendan Sheean

Sun 23 Oct Eastern/Pacific Koel NW Rivett
Could clearly be heard for about 1 minute from my house in Chauvel Circle Chapman at 9:50 pm at night.
Jack Holland

Masked Woodswallow Duffy
A small flock of woodswallows overhead in Duffy yesterday; the light was bad and by the time I got outside in response to the calls I was only able to identify one Masked, but it's a fair bet that White-browed were involved as well.
Ian Fraser

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe