birding-aus

American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) in Florida, USA

To: Robert Inglis <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) in Florida, USA
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:30:39 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Bob,

Actually there are crocodiles in Florida!

The American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus), a tropical species, includes in its
northern-most range, the coastal mangrove areas of
extreme South Florida including most of Florida Bay. Of course, the American
alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) that occurs in the southeastern United
States is way more common.
I have seen both species there.

Cheers,

Nikolas