birding-aus

Croker Island birds

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Croker Island birds
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:14:55 +0930
Over the last 2 days there has been a Barn Swallow hawking between the beach
and the swamp at Palm Bay. Wetland species are easier to observe now as there
is very little water for them to feed in and there are significant numbers in a
relatively small area. Plenty of crocodiles too!! There are a lot of migratory
waders both those that prefer the coast and those on the remnant freshwater
wetlands – quite a few new for the Croker list. I think I’ve added 22 new
species to the list. There are numerous Purple Swamphens and Nankeen Night
Herons and Radjah Shelducks. All the egrets are here, Little, Intermediate,
Great, Cattle and Reef. There are White-browed Crakes and Jacanas and
Buff-banded Rails some of which forage far out in the open. On the dry
floodplain there are the usual hundreds of Brolga and Magpie Geese plus Pipits
and Horsfield’s Bushlarks and many Little Curlews, Oriental Plovers and
Australian Pratincoles but I have looked in vain for Oriental Pratincoles and
wagtails

Don Hadden
P O Box 1007, Malanda, Qld 4885, Australia
Home: +61 8 8979 0372 (until 28 Oct)
Work: +61 8 8979 0229 (until 28 Oct)
Web: www.donhadden.com for Australian bird photos