birding-aus

Noisy Miners attack Red Wattlebird

Subject: Noisy Miners attack Red Wattlebird
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:20:40 +1100
On the Main Yarra Trail beside the Banyule oval, very close to the Banyule Billabong, we were watching Noisy Miners in a flowering Ironbark. A group were on the ground on the far side of the fence apparently fighting - then we saw they had a Red Wattlebird flat on its back, under savage attack. Four or five Miners were standing on it and pecking at its throat, head and breast - we were surprised to see the Wattlebird break loose and fly away apparently intact.

Seen by a group participating in Banyule Council's 'Breakfast with the Birds' walks at about 8.00 a.m.

Walkers in the area should note that today there is a football-sized Honeybee swarm on an eastern branch of the large Eucalypt on the billabong bank, near the stile.

Anthea Fleming