birding-aus

Orange-bellied Parrot and specific winter feeding grounds

Subject: Orange-bellied Parrot and specific winter feeding grounds
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 22:24:58 -0700
I obviously need to do more research on the Orange-bellied Parrot to fill in
some gaps of my knowledge of the species.  That being said I was wondering
if anyone knows if certain individuals from Melaleuca fly to the mainland
and spend the winter at very specific areas.  ie.  A specific marsh or area
that is lets say 5 KM wide along a certain stretch of coast etc.

My asking has some serious implications.  For example Whooping Cranes in
North America frequent the same several kilometer winter range at Aransas
Texas every year.  Having flown  thousands of KM's from their breeding
ground in Wood Buffalo National Park in Canada.  This of course makes
management and protection much easier than if they were strewn along several
hundred KM's of Coast.

If the Orange-belly inhabits for the most part specific winter feeding
areas.  Would it be possible I wonder to train some Orange-bellies to
utilize certain wintering areas set aside for them rather than trying to eke
out an existence in some over-populated coastal section in the State of
Victoria.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Cheers!

Don Kimball