birding-aus

White-throated Nightjars on migration in Cairns

To: birding-aus threads <>
Subject: White-throated Nightjars on migration in Cairns
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 23:07:24 +1100

G'day all... This evening at home I was surprised to see 2 separate "sorties"
of White-throated Nightjars flying low over my residence in Smithfield, Cairns.
First, at 6:30pm there were 3 birds in a fairly tight triangular formation (if
you can call it that?!) flying south about 15mtrs above ground. Then 30 secs
later another single bird was flying in the same direction in direct fashion at
the same height, seemingly following the first 3 birds. Normally at this time
of year I see odd single birds of this species passing through, however they
have always been seen when in more of a foraging mode of flight.It is only
because of their very direct flight (for a nightjar) that I am assuming that
these 4 birds were on a migration flight.  I found this very interesting -
first, for the direct flight of all 4 birds.Second, for the formation of the
first 3 birds in flight.Thirdly, for the 4th bird seemingly following the first
3 birds. This is a good area for Large-tailed Nightjars,
 but I didn't see any around the place tonight. Has anyone any comment on this
at all...??? Cheers Martin CachardCairns0428 782 808