birding-aus

Black-throated Finches and mining

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Black-throated Finches and mining
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:40:45 +1100
Following on from David's comments, the best way to get the details is look at
the documentation. Those associated with the EPBC referral are here:
http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/epbc/epbc_ap.pl?name=current_referral_detail&proposal_id=4737
The actual EIS is here:
http://www.waratahcoal.com/eis-executive-summary
This is a large document so the relevant details may be Section 6 of Volume 2
(Terrestial Ecology) and Sections 10A and 12A of the Appendices (I suspect this
will argue the values of the habitat).
Looks to me like an incidental record (rather than during formal surveys) so I
am not going to provide any comments either way (I have to do this enough for
work in NSW) but could be some interesting discussions. However, a quick glance
appears to suggest that they might have been seen at both the mine annd port
sites? (this is in Section 2 Volume 4 as well).
I don't know about legislation in Qld regarding reserve tenures, but mining
would not be allowed in a Nature Reserve (gazetted under the National Parks and
Wildlife Act) though if there was mining interests in the first place the
reserve may be made a State Conservation Area (though not certain about open
cut mining in these).
I guess the project is open for public comment, so if you want to provide
comment, the links above (and those provided earlier) may help you do this.
Cheers,
Peter