birding-aus

Brown Falcons with yellow cere and bare facial parts

To: <>
Subject: Brown Falcons with yellow cere and bare facial parts
From: "Christopher Watson" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 00:47:17 +0930
G’day birders,

I’ve got a question which has been nagging at me for a while. I hope someone
will know something.

Brown Falcons keep turning up with yellow ceres and bare facial parts. I have a
growing collection of photographs of these birds from Lake Eyre through Central
Australia and out to the western extremities of the Tanami Desert.

Where does this colouring come from? Is this a regional variation? Is anyone
aware of any research/study that has been done on this subject?

Some photos of my latest encounter with this colour variation are on my blog ;

http://comebirdwatching.blogspot.com/2011/10/brown-falcon-and-thorny-devil-study-of.html

I’m intrigued.

Cheers,

Chris Watson