birding-aus

RFI - some specific species for my dad

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: RFI - some specific species for my dad
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:08:00 +1000
Hi All
my parents are shortly coming to stay for a bit and, as is usual, my Dad has sent me a wish list. While I have some sites in mind for these, any light that can be shed on recent sightings would be much appreciated, especially for the elusive Glossy Black Cockatoo, which has reached myth status as far as my Dad is concerned - don't know how many sites I have been to with him looking for them - the best we have managed in his 6 visits to Australia is a distant call and some freshly chewed casuarina nuts. We will probably not be crossing the Blue Mts this trip, but will be going to Tea Gardens/Hawks Nest/Myall Lakes for a long weekend, so sites up in that direction would be a possibility too. Anyway, the list is:

Little Bittern/Bittern (will be looking in Hawkesbury area if we get out there)
Glossy Black Cockatoo (will be trying West Head, Bobbin Head area,
Little Lorikeet
Chestnut Rumped Heathwren (Chiltern Track and low numbered tracks on West Head Road, Mt Bass fire trail if we get to Royal NP) Square Tailed Kite (Scheyville area, and generally keeping an eye out as we go to the mid North Coast)
Stubble Quail (Hawkesbury area?)
Button Quail - any sort (Painted at Castlereagh NR)
Lewins Rail (Triangle Pond at Homebush?  Warriewood Wetlands/Irrawong NR)
White Throated Nightjar (Sphinx area in Ku-rin-gai NP)
Pilotbird (any specific spots in Royal NP?)
Sooty Owl (any specific spots in Royal NP or north?)

Others listed, but which would require us to get west of the mountains, unless I can be advised differently, include:
Diamond Firetail
Painted Snipe
Ground Cuckoo Shrike
Spotted Bowerbird
Masked Woodswallow

All the Double Banded Dotterels (also on the list) have presumably gone back to NZ by now (to watch the rugby!)
Cheers
Tom Wilson