birding-aus

Quails in the Red Centre

Subject: Quails in the Red Centre
From: Iain Blake <>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 02:30:34 +0100 (BST)
Hi folks,

I've just spent a week over in Central Australia where the birding was
surprisingly a bit slow with very few raptors about which was quite different
to my previous visits to the area. No problems if you have a soft spot for the
Zebra Finch though which, fortunately, I do!
Anyway, while walking round the Valley of the Winds loop at Kata Tjuta I was
surprised to find a group of four Brown Quail. I've read somewhere that they
will head further inland after rains but this seems very inland indeed! How far
into the interior will these birds travel and do they often reach the Red
Centre? I'm curious.

Cheers, Iain.