birding-aus

Chathan Island Albatross off Australia

To: <>, <>
Subject: Chathan Island Albatross off Australia
From: Daniel Mantle <>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 08:33:55 +0100
Thanks Roger,

I can reply as I am still stuck at Melbourne Airport!! I am pretty sure there
was also a Chatham Albatross off Wollongong in that mega-year (1999). I wish I
had been living in Aus then! Your 2002 records confirm what some of the others
thought - that the Gong had scored two eremita over the years. I still think
Tas has had a few too, but wouldn't even know where to start looking for these
records. There are some great seabird records on the various marine biology
databases, especially from the research vessels leaving Tas for the Antarctic.
But I guess many of these have not been submitted to BARC. At the time of the
Great Shearwaters earlier this year (I think I forgot to post this), I could
remember seeing a record of an earlier sighting of multiple Great Shearwaters
off Tas (still in Aus waters) from a survey vessel. Maybe three birds if my
memory is correct.

Cheers Dan