birding-aus

Thirsty Mistletoe Bird.

To: Del Richards <>, "" <>
Subject: Thirsty Mistletoe Bird.
From: Stuart Cooney <>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:43:03 +1000
When we were in Hart's Range (215km NE of Alice Springs), we had a male
Mistletoebird fly into our sprinkler during an assembly at school (causing all
sorts of excitement as I am sure you could gather) and sit there for a long
time, perhaps five minutes, until I became concerned.  It let me catch him with
my hands and was passive as I put it in a box for some quiet time in the
air-conditioned office.  I thought it might be on a  downward spiral, but once
it dried off, it regained some of its spunk and flew off, once released, to a
nearby perch before departing--seemed fine!  The day wasn't super hot (low-mid
thirties, rather than forties).

Cheers

Stuart

Dr Stuart Cooney
Melbourne Resource Manager / Senior Zoologist
0448 496 000

Natural and Cultural Heritage Consultants
MELBOURNE
GEELONG
420 Victoria St, Brunswick VIC 3056
PO Box 8048, Newtown VIC 3220
PH (03) 9940 1411
F (03) 9381 0700
PH (03) 5221 8122
F (03) 5221 2760

This email, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee named. It
is confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, use, disclose,
distribute or rely on the information contained in it.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and then delete this email from your computer.