birding-aus

Sound Recording Bird Calls - Examples of Spotted Quail-Thrush Calls

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Sound Recording Bird Calls - Examples of Spotted Quail-Thrush Calls
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:07:56 +0000
Hi All,

This thread has generated some interest, so thought I'd throw in my two bob's
worth.

I use the same set up Lloyd Nielsen has already mentioned, an Edirol R-09 to
record and a Sennheiser ME66 microphone. I purchased this set up from B&H in
the U.S for about half the cost here in Australia, although it's still probably
a little expensive for someone just looking to get started. I do some very
basic editing using Audacity although I am looking to perhaps get something a
little more capable. If you are interested in the sort of results you can get
with a set up such as this one, I have recently posted some Spotted
Quail-Thrush calls I recorded here near Brisbane to xeno-canto. Go to:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/australasia/XCspeciesprofiles.php?species_nr2=15286.00

Xeno-canto is a pretty incredible database, and certainly a must visit site for
any birder who is visiting South America and would like to download calls to
study. All sorts of obscure neotropical species have been recorded by the
armada of recordists who bird the Americas and all these recordings are
available from XC for free. There are plenty of species whose repertoires are
very well documented on this site. By contrast, the birds of Australasia are
very poorly represented. My Spotted Quail-Thrush recordings were the first to
go on the site, and I even added the first Red-backed Fairywren calls, so there
are plenty of holes out there waiting to be filled, not just species-wise. Take
for example the third call I recorded of the quail-thrush. There is no call
like this on the BOCA CDs. Is it the song type (B) described in HANZAB? Has
this been recorded before? Do other people know of this song? The more people
out there recording, the more gaps such as these will be filled
 and the more we will learn. So if you are interested in recording, I'd
recommend it. Just like photography, it adds another dimension to the pass time
we all enjoy already!

Any questions, let me know.

Regards and good birding!

Nick Leseberg