birding-aus

Calls of Buff-banded Rail

To: 'Greg & Val Clancy' <>, 'Birding-aus' <>
Subject: Calls of Buff-banded Rail
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:36:10 +1000
I heard a call a few months ago that I thought was probably a BBR, given the
location ( a recently flooded paddock), and that BBRs were seen there soon
after, and that I couldn't think of what else it could possibly be. I did
consider Stubble Quail, but decided the quality and volume of the call was more
like BBR. Then the rails were seen and the quail weren't, so I discounted SQ.

It was a high pitched brrrrrrrr-eeet. The first part was trilled and of even
pitch, the second part was clear and rising. It was repeated several times, I
think about 10 seconds apart.

I heard it two days running in the same place, but never egain, despite the
rails still being there. It's still a mystery call as far as I'm concerned, one
of many that finally prompted me to get some recording equipment. I'm hoping
someone else has heard this call.

Peter Shute