birding-aus

Recording Bird Calls

Subject: Recording Bird Calls
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:35:21 +1000
A few years ago, I bought an Edirol R-09 recorder which fits in your hand (weighs 145 gms), a short shotgum Sennheiser microphone (ME 66 with K6 powering module), and with Rycote wind shield and pistol grip, also an Adobe Audition 2 sound editing programme for the computer (the free Raven Lite is a good alternative programme). It all works so well and easily. I can record in wav or MP3 files onto an SD card. One gets about 2 hours of sound onto a 2GB card when using the larger wav files. It is simple to use - record the sound, download to the computer at home and edit. I can also plug an external speaker into the recorder and play back from the SD card if needed when in the field.

Later I bought an Olympus LS-10 recorder (weighs 170 gms) which has 2 GB of inbuilt storage (great for storing many pre-recorded MP3 files for use in the field). It also takes an SD card. Both are great recorders though I mainly use the Edirol for recording but only because it is slightly simpler to use. I never use the small inbuilt microphones in either recorder – the Sennheiser is far superior. Both recorders use 2 AA batteries.

I realise that both recorders have been superseded by newer models but I would imagine the latest would be as easy to use – an equivalent model should be available. The similar Zoom recorders would also be worth looking at. Sennheiser apparently still produces the ME 66 microphone and K6 powering module.

Total cost was less than a pair of top of the line binocs - around $2,000 here in Australia but considerably less than that when purchased from B&H in the USA.

I find now that I take the sound gear into the field much more than I take the photographic gear. It is one of the best purchases I have made in some years.

Lloyd Nielsen
Mt Molloy. Nth Qld