birding-aus

Princess Parrot and Scarlet-chested Parrot in 2 weeks and some notes abo

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Princess Parrot and Scarlet-chested Parrot in 2 weeks and some notes about Jupiter Well
From: "John Penhallurick" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:25:22 +1000
H friends,

I am proud to announce that I managed to see two of Australia's most
difficult parrots in just two weeks.  I travelled to Jupiter Well and saw 2
Princess Parrots two weeks ago last Saturday, and on the Saturday just
passed saw two beautiful Scarlet-chested Parrots at Gluepot.

The SCP's were on the Southern Boundary track.  We first saw the female who
was feeding on the Marieana (bluebush) shrubs only a foot or two above the
ground.  She flew across the track and then flew back and into the scrub.
We went in and soon found the male, also feeding on the succulent shrubs
jjust above the ground.  An important point here: don't expect to find the
birds sitting high in a tree.  Then both of them alighted on a horizontal
branch about 5 feet off the ground, and proceeding to allopreen each other
furiously.  They were quite throughout.  They did not utter any sound either
while flying or while perched.

I thought it might be good to give some more information about Jupiter Well
itself. By my trip meter it was 124 km west of the turnoff to Kiwirrkura. By
the way, diesel at Kiwirrkura cost $2.80 a litre for diesel.

There is no sign announcing Jupiter Well, but it can be easily recognized by
three 4 gallon drums: 1 on the south side which is blue with a white central
panel and two on the north sie: 1 green with a white central panel and 1
white with a blue central panel.  You can drive into the area on the north
side and you will find a pump, that delivers quite potable water.  The well
itself is on the south side, reached by a track below the road with a white
arrow atop a wooden post. The original well is now dry. There are many
places to camp on the north side.  A warning, though. There is a small sand
dune, and if you cross that you can reach extra camping places, But there is
deep sand after the dune. I had to engage low 4WD to get out.

I was very lucky to see two parrots in flight about 30 km past the well. All
the spinifex clumps in the area were had many seed stems arising from them,
but all the seeds had been shed.  It would have been perfect about a month
before.  I suggest that before heading out there  you ring either (or both)
the Kiwirrkurra store (08 8956 8453) or the Kunawarritji community beyond
Jupiter Well (08 9176 9040) and ask if there has been recent rain.  If there
hasn't it's probably not much use heading out there.

The Gary junction road was generally good; a bit corrugated in parts, but
nothing serious.

Dr John Penhallurick

86 Bingley Cres

Fraser A.C.T. 2615

Australia

email:

Phone: Home (612) 62585428

Mobile:0408585426

sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt Aeneid Book 1,line 462  "The
world is a world of tears, and the burdens of mortality touch the heart."

Magna est veritas et praevilabit Vulgate, Book of Edras

Si vis pacem para bellum  Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Flavius_Vegetius_Renatus> 's De Re
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Re_Militari>  Militari, book 3

Please visit my website:http://www.worldbirdinfo.net

Please also visit my blog at
http://jpenhall.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/proof-that-there-is-not-a-scrap-of-
evidence-in-favour-of-the-ipccs-attack-on-carbon-dioxide/