birding-aus

Far North Queensland sightings

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Far North Queensland sightings
From: Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:28:39 +1000
Hi Folks,
A few interesting sightings: A Great-billed Heron was foraging along Bushy Creek at our Platypus viewing spot in the Lodge grounds, 4 Cotton Pygmy-goose are still in a lagoon along nearby McDougall Road, Julatten and some have also been seen on Lake Mitchell (between Mt. Molloy and Mareeba) and an overwintering Black-faced Monarch has been seen most weeks in our grounds. Blue-faced Parrot-finch are being regularly found in Julatten but what is interesting with them is that two very juvenile birds have been with at least four adults - it was thought that they mainly breed in the wet season at higher altitudes December to March although we did see a juvenile some years ago on Mt. Lewis in October. A surprise last week was a calling Cicadabird at a time of the year when they are normally absent. More info on these sightings and other sightings can be found on our blog.

Cheers,
Keith & Lindsay.

--
    Keith&  Lindsay Fisher
    Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge

Winner: Wet Tropics 2010 Cassowary Award for Nature Based Tourism