birding-aus

Powerful Owl Tawny Frogmouths, Sydney Botanic Gardens

Subject: Powerful Owl Tawny Frogmouths, Sydney Botanic Gardens
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:33:44 +1000
this is well-known behaviour, and has been reported  in Powerful and
Barking Owls, and I've personally seen a Boobook owl drop a dead
rosella when flushed from its daytime roost. (It's also known in
non-Australian species of owls). An article in the Biological Journal
of the Linnaean Society suggests its possibly a territorial display or
food storage behaviour, and is usually confined to breeding age males
of the larger Ninox owl species. The Powerful owl which took up
residence in the National Botanic Gardens a few years ago was seen
several times holding prey during daylight hours.
sandra henderson, Canberra