birding-aus

Sea-Eagle CAM Live on Ustream

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sea-Eagle CAM Live on Ustream
From: "Jon Irvine" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 21:43:11 +1000
Hello All,

Following on from the previous two years of monitoring the White-bellied
Sea-Eagles' nest at Sydney Olympic Park with EagleCAM, we are pleased to
announce that we are now broadcasting pictures from the eagles' nest LIVE on
the internet. At present, our internet phone line connection is sub-standard
so the quality of the broadcast video is not at its best and we have had
quite a few drop-outs. We hope to have a better phone line connection
installed within the next week or two and should, subsequently, be able to
offer a more reliable and better quality picture. Please take a look at the
live video feed at:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sea-eagle-cam

Note: Ustream is a free service for broadcasters so it relies on
advertising; there may be an occasional 15 or 30 second advertisement when
you view the stream.

At 5:40pm on Monday 4th July, ten weeks after the eagles started to build
their new nest, the first egg was laid. This is a full two weeks later than
the last two years, probably because the birds have had to build a new nest
from scratch this year after the tree limb in which the old nest was
situated (and which had been in use intermittently for at least 15 years)
fell down in February. The birds are doing well with both the male and
female taking turns incubating. The male is also bringing in fish to the
nest for the female. This year, for the first time, we are using a
night-time infrared light so we can record what happens on the nest during
the night. We believe that this is the first time that any detailed
observation has been conducted on a White-bellied Sea-Eagle nest at
night-time.

Please also visit the Sea-EagleCAM Community Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/Sea-EagleCAM with photos and updates every other
day. You don't need to belong to Facebook to view; it is a community page,
not a personal page.

To see the live pictures from the nest in full high definition and a chance
to see the eagles themselves flying overhead, we recommend a visit to the
Birds Australia Discovery Centre in Newington Armory, Sydney Olympic Park.
The Discovery Centre is open Saturdays and Sundays between 10am and 4pm.

Kind Regards,

Geoff Hutchinson

Jon Irvine