birding-aus

Gulls in n-w Australia

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Gulls in n-w Australia
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 12:01:48 +1000
Hi all,

As an aside to the current Silver Gull discussion I would like to suggest
that for those living in, or traveling to, the north-west of Australia it is
worth checking all flocks of gulls for vagrants.

In November 2009 I was on Cape Leveaque, north of Broome, and came across a
bird that looked different to the surrounding Silver Gulls. The main
difference I noted at the time was that it appeared to be an adult, or near
adult, bird but there were no noticeable white patches or "windows" in the
outer primaries. Because of my distance from the bird and lack of photos
taken the consensus was "Silver Gull, they are different up here". I still
have my reservations about this outcome but I am accepting it, for now.

My suggestion though is, if you are traveling in the n-w this season it may
be worth checking all flocks of gulls, and not writing them off as "just
Silver Gulls". I think there is a possibility of juvenile and or
non-breeding northern hemisphere gulls mixed in with them. How I wish I
could get back up there and check for myself (smile).

cheers

Jenny