birding-aus

(finally...) A gull with two mirrors, .

To: brian fleming <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: (finally...) A gull with two mirrors, .
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 11:31:49 +1000
Hi Anthea and all at B-A,

I had a similar but different experience, when traveling back to Australia
from Cape Town by ship. After 3 days of listening to Hartlaub's Gulls,
*Chroicocephalus
hartlaubii,* in Cape Town harbour (In some references, Hartlaubs Gull is a
race of Silver Gull and in others it is a separate species*), the next birds
I heard calling were the Silver Gulls in Freemantle Harbour. Between Cape
Town and Freemantle I had heard no bird calls of any species. At the time I
thought the calls of the Freemantle bird's were very similar to the Cape
Town bird's call, and definitely different from the east-coast Australia
Silver Gulls that I know so well.

Supposedly, according to some references, there are three races of "Silver
Gull" in Australia:
[*C.s. novaehollandiae*] S Australia.
[*C.s. gunni*] Tasmania.
[*C.s. forsteri*] N Australia, New Caledonia & Loyalty Is.

I have no idea if there is a difference in call between the *Chroicocephalus
* gulls of s-w Australia and those in n-w Australia because I have never
done a flight between the two to test, nor have I read any reports on the
matter. I do think, however, that our "common old Sea Gull" has many
variations.

cheers

Jenny

*  http://merseybirders.webs.com/documents/gull-reference-list.pdf