birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 4 Jul 2011 01:30:09 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Jul 2011.

Sun 3 Jul Olive-backed Oriole Hughes
A single adult bird observed perched in a exotic tree on the corner of Carruthers and Groom Streets in Hughes at 1100. A late record for this species.
Alastair Smith

Southern Whiteface, Varied Sittella, Scarlet Robin, Flame Robin Kama Nature Reserve
A good morning outing to Kama with Fantram. Highlights amongst 37 species observed were two Nankeen Kestrels inspecting nest hollow, 5 Southern Whiteface, Varied Sittella (2), 2 Scarlet Robin (M&F) and 4 Flame Robin (2M &2F)
Alastair Smith

Sat 2 Jul Restless Flycatcher Goodwin Hill
One Restless Flycatcher in mid afternoon. Called loudly a few times then headed East towards Latham.
Michael kingsford

Glossy Black-Cockatoo Mt Majura nature reserve, Hackett
Three Glossy Black-Cockatoos on Mt Majura this afternoon about 4.15. They were perched in clear view on the very large dead tree next to the main track (Blue Metal Road) up from the top of Grayson Street. This tree is on the right of the track as you climb up, about the level of the first dam you come to. It's good to see them back. They were a pair with a noisy youngster.
Christine Ledger

Fuscous Honeyeater Macquarie Oval
6 Fuscous Honeyeaters - as far as I can recall, this is my first record of this species at this site in 10 years
Frank Antram

Thu 30 Jun Pallid Cuckoo, Brown Treecreeper, Stubble Quail Kama Nature Reserve
One Pallid Cuckoo heard calling this morning at Kama. According to the 2009-2010 Annual Bird Report (ABR) the last record was 27 May. Other highlights included at least 4 Brown Treecreepers and a female Stubble Quail (identified by pale throat and rump first landing).
Alastair Smith, Ian Fraser

Mon 27 Jun Crescent Honeyeater Macquarie Oval
One calling at around 08.45 this morning
Frank Antram

Sun 26 Jun Hooded Robin Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
Single male on electric fence at entrance drive, three more males and a couple of females at Xanthorrhoea area , Gibraltar Rocks Walking Trail.
Chris Hastir

Sat 25 Jun Australian Reed-warbler Lake Ginninderra, MacDermott Place boat ramp
A group of us did a circumnavigation of Lake Ginniderra, and in the vicinity of the boat ramp at MacDermott Place we observed this Australian Reed-warbler. It was originally in the reeds but ascended a casuarina as we watched, apparently searching for food. As far as I remember, it was silent the whole time. I think it has been proposed previously that some A. reed-warblers might stay through winter but are generally overlooked as they are not calling through this period. We observed an A. reed-warbler last year in the same location, on 31 July 12010.
Anthony Willis

Black-shouldered Kite Kama Nature Reserve
Two Black-shouldered Kite at Kama NR with another two in the distance.
C Davey

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.