birding-aus

Gulls and Terns in Sydney

To: "" <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Gulls and Terns in Sydney
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:37:37 -0700 (PDT)
Mark et al.,

If you happen to check out large Silver Gull flocks it may be a good idea to
check carefully for Red-billed Gull(s). I think the lack of records for SG in
NZ and RBG in OZ is rather due to neglect than to actual lack of these taxa.

This past Saturday during SOSSA's Wollongong pelagic we had hundreds of Silver
Gulls with us all they way out to the shelf break and back. Several times I got
glimpses of a bird/birds with reduced white and more black in the primary tips.
Tony Keene was able to take a few pictures of a gull with only two white
mirrors. I haven't had the time yet to carefully analyze the pictures butI had
a quick skim through the HANZAB Silver Gull chapter (they treat scopulinus as a
subspecies of novaehollandiae). I
wasn't able to find much on ID of adult birds. They say that juv. RBGs
have a dark subterminal band to the tail whereas SGs don't. Maybe I
missed information because I didn't have a proper read.Hadoram Shirihai's
Antarctic Wildlife book treats them as two species: SG
usually three mirrors (but sometimes two!)/RBG two mirrors, SG paler
than RBG, SG longer-billed and more slender-billed, SG slightly larger
than RBG and the wing measurements were slightly different, too.

Not sure how to tell a two-mirrored SG with certainty from a RBG in the field!

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW