birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 27 Jun 2011 01:30:26 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 26 Jun 2011.

Sat 25 Jun Black-necked Stork Kalbar on Cunningham Highway
1 bird in roadside wetland
Greg Roberts

Fri 24 Jun White-browed Babbler Old Wallangara Road
Party of 4 - here at eastern extremity of range
Greg Roberts

Superb Lyrebird race edwardi Girraween National Park
1 male displaying and singing. This race can be very difficult to see
Greg Roberts

Noisy Pitta Green Mountains (O'Reilly's) 10' Cell
Driving up to O'Reily's this morning I saw at a minimum eight Noisy Pittas on the road whilst driving through the rainforest sections ~6.30am. Was still darkish but birds definitely identifiable in head lights. Great start to an excellent day birding. Lots of log runners and thrush (though I'm not sure which, Bassian or Russet) as well.
Deryk Engel

Tue 21 Jun Roseate Tern Noosa sandbanks, Noosa
from birding-aus: I picked up the Roseate in a small flock of Crested, Common and Little Terns by a vaguely rosy flush on the breast. Then I saw that the tail feathers extended beyond the primaries. The legs were a bit shorter than Commons. Then I saw that the moult indicated a southern hemisphere bird, and it all fell into place.
Jill Dening

South Island Pied Oystercatcher Point Halleran
I finally popped out to see this visitor from NZ !
Rob Morris

Fantail cuckoo Gladstone marina parklands
Single bird trying to hide in a dense bush. But I managed a good long look. Bird did not call.
Ben Weston

Mon 20 Jun South Island Pied Oystercatcher Point Halleran
Today, around midday, Plaxy Barratt and I observed the South Island Pied Oystercatcher across from 21 Orana Esplanade, Point Halloran. It was high tide at the time and roosting with aproximately 19 Aussie Pied Oystercatchers. Michael Wood
Michael Wood (via birding-aus)

Sat 18 Jun Yellow-nosed Albatross North Stradbroke Island
One Yellow-nosed Albatross > off Pt Lookout
Colin Reid

Black-bellied Storm Petrels, Great-winged Petrels (2+gouldi and 1 macroptera) Southport Pelagic - off the shelf
Several classic Black-bellieds and many Wilson's today. The possible NZSP was seen along side these species on many occasions. Also today 200+ Providence Petrels, 3+ Great-winged Petrels (all gouldi except 1 nominate macroptera (also a 1st for Southport)), a few Brown Noddy, a few Australian Gannets. Not huge diversity - but an exciting trip!
Rob Morris (and all on board inc. Paul Walbridge)

Tue 14 Jun Northern Giant Petrel Moore Reef
The bird was sighted at Moore Reef, which is 25 nautical miles east of Cairns. I work for Reef Magic Cruises and we have a large pontoon out there. It arrived last week and wasn't flying. We fed it pilchards, and then it would disappear for the day. I had days off from Thursday until Saturday, and when I returned on Sunday it had become very aggressive and was attacking children, probably because management decided they didn't want the bird around so stopped feeding it. On the Monday the bird flew away - never to return.
nick balsdon

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia Southern Queensland and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.