birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 6 Jun 2011 01:31:13 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 5 Jun 2011.

Sat 4 Jun Little Eagle, Channel-billed Cuckoo, Crimson Finch Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
Little Eagle (1) bald rock Channel-billed Cuckoo (2) feeding in fruiting fig on golf course, overwintering? Crimson Finch (7) some very young birds
Ed Pierce

Fri 3 Jun Radjah Shelduck; Varied Honeyeater Bushland Beach (Townsville)
About 9:30am - Two Radjah Shelducks and one Varied Honeyeater seen In the area that is subject to inundation at the end of Dune Parade, at the south-eastern end of the Bushland Beach residential development. Unxpected to see Radjah Shelducks here and it the first time ever that we've seen Varied Honeyeater at Bushland Beach.
Marleen and Alf Acton (per Len Ezzy)

Thu 2 Jun Australian Bustard Killaloe Swamp
Australian Bustard (1) Seen along cane headlands at 12.15pm. First for this area?
Doug Herrington

Australian Bustard Shannonvale
Pair seen in recently mowed field beside Shannonvale Road. I've lived in Shannonvale for two and a half years and this the first time I've seen this species here.
Peter Houston

Wed 1 Jun Blue-winged Kookaburra Kewarra Beach foreshore reserve, Cairns Norther Beaches
On my usual early morning walk at my local beach today, I was very surprised to find a heavily marked juvenile Blue-winged Kookaburra sitting quietly - pic attached. This species is very uncommon in the Cairns area, with a small resident party at Centenary Lakes & another group sometimes seen at Cattana Wetlands. This is the first record as far as I'm aware of this species locally north of the Cattana Wetlands area.
Martin Cachard

Mon 30 May Great-billed Heron Daintree River
One bird located this morning on Murray Hunt's Daintree River cruise. Bird was located standing in the open on a small beach. Difficult to see at first due foggy conditions.
Steve Murray

White-eared Monarch Pallarenda Environmental Park
Two birds seen in company with a Spectacled Monarch about 7.30am.
Ian Boyd and others on TRBOC outing

Sun 29 May Spotted Catbird Eastern side of Ingham (Covell Street)
Very unusual here in town at low altitude. Feeding on red palm seeds, then hopping its way up a paperbark tree.
Martin Cordery

Sat 28 May Golden Bowerbird Mt Hypipamee National Park
One bird located approximately 100 metres before picnic area at The Crater, quietly feeding on rainforest fruits.
Steve Murray

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.