birding-aus

Some exciting raptors

Subject: Some exciting raptors
From: "Ákos Lumnitzer" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:22:55 +1000
Hi birders

This morning while walking my dogs out near the Penrith Quarries I noted a
pair of the local Brown Falcons performing what I can only think of as
courtship flights. Initially, I only heard one bird calling as it flew in
an erratic fashion about 40-50m off the ground, soon to be joined by its
mate. They got into some chasing and more calling, before disappearing
over the quarries. Other interesting sightings were one Little Falcon
(Hobby) calling and performing aerial maneuvers in the same area near a
nest site I found last year. This appeared to be much like a territorial
flight display. Later, I found a single Little Falcon and then a pair
along Andrews Road, across from the glass plant. Male and female, as size
differences between the adults was quite impressive and noticeable. At
nearby Penrith Lakes an immature White-bellied Sea Eagle was harassed by
17 Australian Ravens in a pack. Other recent sightings in the area this
past week include: immature Black-shouldered Kite, Swamp Harrier and
Wedge-tailed Eagle.

Happy birding
Akos

--