birding-aus

Using video recorders for birds

To: Rosemary Royle <>
Subject: Using video recorders for birds
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:34:58 +1000
HI Rosemary,
Sorry if you have been inundated with advice on this but i would like to echo
others sentiments that the current crop of DSLRs are the way to go for sure.
The quality of the output is way better than anything else.
For the money you can't beat a Canon 60D. It has some features for video that
make it better than many of the other models.
Advantages FOR VIDEO over the 7D for example are:
a: cheaper
b: it has a flip out screen - an underrated tool for videography.
c: the ability to manually control audio input levels from an external
microphone. If you started to get even semi serious for video then an external
mic is going to be a must. I bought an Azden one from B&H for well under $100
that is way better than the inbuilt mic which picks up your hand movement,
images stabiliser etc.
Even my 1DmkIV though doesn't have the ability to manually set the input level.
As far as i am aware the 60D and the 5D mkII are the only ones with this
functionality

The advantage over a 5D mkII are again its cheaper, the flip out screen, plus
the 1.6X crop factor which will be perfect for birding to get more effective
reach out of your lens.

Hope that helps :)
Cheers
Dave Stowe