birding-aus

Swift Parrots and Owls

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Swift Parrots and Owls
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 21:11:49 +1000
Hi all,
During the last week groups of up to 20 Swift Parrots have been seen flitting
from tree to tree - sometimes quite far apart in Cowes east, around the Primary
School and north.  There are several trees, both indigenous and non-local
native eucalypts in flower at the moment in the area.  I've seen flocks of
about 5-7 flying over my house - I've always enjoyed hanging up the washing on
the line - and down my street (appropriately named Birdwood Avenue?).

Also last week I went to the wonderful series of outing run by Echuca &
district BOCA.  While taking one of our party back to catch a train back to
Melbourne we found a Barn/Masked Owl when we stopped by the side of the road to
inspect Woodswallows.

Two days later I found another owl near the bridge on the Barham-Moama Road in
the area where the ostriches have been seen.  This owl was clearly fawn, rather
than white on its front.

We weren't sure whether the owl we saw on Sunday near Kerang was Masked or
Barn, but I was even more puzzled with Tuesday's bird.  I've put photos of both
owls in an album on my Facebook profile page.  Any comments re ID are welcome.
Cheers
Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island
Victoria