birding-aus

non tickable sightings

To: <>
Subject: non tickable sightings
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 18:27:10 +1000
This is not a personal comment to Steve or any other individual or about
any particular bird species. I'm just using Steve's message as an
example. If the purpose of the "tick" is a survey of a site and a
legitimate need to know about the distribution of particular species,
yes that is important but not whether person A has it on their life /
year / place / whatever list. This message is a comment on the idea that
a bird list of itself becomes some kind of contest or somehow important,
which might be fun but beyond that, I think is a load of twaddle. I have
been bird watching as my major interest for 40 + years. Can someone
explain why it matters or more importantly explain why anyone else's
list matters?

As Steve writes "My bird list, My rules!" Therefore I am happy for him
but the truth is I don't care. I care a bit that Yellow-throated Hanging
Parrots exists somewhere but whether or not Steve's list includes them
is of nil concern to me (and that is not being unfriendly).

What I do care about is whether they are capable of flying at 400 miles
an hour. That is something of interest because it is about the bird, not
the list. But I suspect a bit of artistic licence there.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Steve
Potter
Sent: Saturday, 7 May 2011 8:00 PM      To: ;
        Subject: [Birding-Aus] non tickable
sightings

Hi Gang,

As someone who just posted a report with 2 un-tickable sightings, I am
assuming I am partly to blame for the question.

Yellow-throated Hanging Parrot flying at 400 miles an hour and
identifiable by call/options and paid guide only, but not really seen
clearly is in my book an un-tickable sighting. Even to the surprise of
the guide...

Black-thighed Falconet seen at 2 km's through Bino's and even the Guide
was uncertain.... even when all other options exhausted, I declare an
un-tickable sighting also.

My bird list, My rules!

Cheers.

Steve Potter