birding-aus

Amalgamation

To: <>
Subject: Amalgamation
From: "Reg" <>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 14:20:18 +1000
Dear Friends,

My wife and I are members of both Birds Australia and BOCA.  We have been
working for over 20 years to preserve some bush on the Inskip Peninsula
immediately south of Fraser Island in Queensland.  It is an area the Birds
Australia list as an Important Bird Area and contains a substantial population
of Black-breasted Button-quail amongst others.  The 200 hA area has not been
substantially changed and is largely original bush.

An urban development of 6,500 is proposed for an area.  My wife and I along
with Coastcare, Fraser Island Defenders Organisation, the Department of
Environment and Resource Management, Citizens Helping Inskip Peninsula and
other individuals are opposing the development in the Planning and Environment
Court.

When I contacted the  President and CEO of Birds Australia about the matter
they promptly asked for more details.  I sent multiple copies of a multipaged
color presentation for the Council of Birds Australia to consider and asked for
assistance.  I was ignored for several months.  Eventually the CEO refused any
assistance and refused to give me information on the rules of the organisation
or ways I may use to contact members.

BOCA has published an excellent article about the matter and this assistance
has been very valuable.

I have come to the conslusion that we need BOCA and that the proposed
amalgamation is more like a takeover with the CEO of Birds Australia in charge.
 The failure of Birds Australia to support pensioners and community
organisations in a long running fight for the future of birds makes BOCA's
independent survival more critical.

I apologise for the unsolicited email but ask you and your members to vote
against amalgamation.

Reg Lawler
Chairperson
Citizens Helping Inskip Peninsula