birding-aus

Eungella Honeyeater, Yellow Chat & Zitting Cisticola

Subject: Eungella Honeyeater, Yellow Chat & Zitting Cisticola
From: "Bob Black" <>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 12:11:21 +1000
Hi Ray, and all,

Yellow chats use the 12-mile creek and saltworks drain sites as breeding areas
in the early to late wet season
and move back to publicly inaccessible areas in the saltworks for the rest of
the year.
Usually they are only at 12-mile creek to March or early April depending on the
season.
This long wet season has seen a number of breeding attempts flooded, and a
recent successful breed.
We haven't been down there for a few weeks, but they were still at both sites
then,
and may hang around a few more weeks in the current conditions.

Zitting Cisticolas are probably present all year on most of the Central Qld
marine plains.
We usually only record them when we hear and see males displaying, and this is
mosly in the warmer months.
They are not at all easily detectable when not displaying, as they frequent
very short grassy areas with limited cover,
and as a result are far more reluctant than Golden-headeds to allow close
approach.
In this region the two species separate by habitat, with Zitting in ankle high
grasses with scattered knee-high clumps of grass or sedge,
and Golden-headed in waist high or taller grasses and sedges.
They may still be doing some displaying at the 12-mile creek grasslands, or
other areas like the Corio Bay wetlands.

Cheers, Bob Black