birding-aus

Fantail Cuckoos at Banyule Flats, Heidelberg

Subject: Fantail Cuckoos at Banyule Flats, Heidelberg
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:06:35 +1000
Along the south arm of the billabong (currently very full) I heard at least 2 male Fantail Cuckoos trilling, often both at once. I had a fleeting glimpse of one flying towards the Yarra. A third male was also calling from a long way downstream. As I searched the billabong surrounds I also heard the fife-like 'whooo' call from a female.

I have often heard FTCs calling in autumn - usually in May. Whether they are migrants passing through, or stayers getting ready to impose their eggs on winter-breeding Scrub-wrens and Fairy-wrens, I don't know.

Lots of Grey Fantails everywhere; some singing. Some were very dark-coloured.

Anthea Fleming