birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 18 Apr 2011 01:30:39 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 17 Apr 2011.

Sun 17 Apr Glossy Ibis Bicentennial Park in Homebush Bay
We managed to get quite close to a Glossy Ibis beside the small pond next to the exit of Bicentennial Park in Homebush Bay this afternoon. This is usually a bird that is hard to get close to but it did not bother our close presence within a few metres away as we photographed it feeding with a White Ibis.
Edwin Vella and Tony Dawe

Fri 15 Apr Black Petrel Pelagic off Port Stephens
A very late Black Petrel was the only highlight on an otherwise quiet pelagic off Port Stephens held on a Friday due to high seas forecast for the weekend. Also notable were 120+ Wilson's Storm-petrels as well as Black-browed, Shy and Yellow-nosed Albatross.
Mick Roderick and 13 other observers

Painted Honeyeater Pretty Pine area, Deniliquin district
Another sighting of a single Painted Honeyeater, only the second sighting for the season. The first being on 4 April when two birds were seen in the same area as today's bird feeding in grey mistletoe (Amyema quandang var. quantang) in roadside boree (Acacia pendula).
Philip Maher

Australian Painted Snipe North of Wanganella area, Deniliquin district
A group of seven Australian Painted Snipe in a drying out swamp north of Wanganella. Adults and immatures present. Same swamp as the pair seen on 6 April. This group, including the 6 April pair, was seen in an area quite some distance from all previous records this season. This group has probably bred close to where they were seen.
Philip Maher

Thu 14 Apr Topknot Pigeon Rollands Plains, west of Port Macquarie
60+ observed at 1545 in Camphor Laurel trees and flying in groups directly overhead. Site was west of the Recreation Reserve and just before the creek crossing.
Peter McGinley

White-bellied Sea-eagle Bundanoon
Literally two minutes after contemplating whether White-bellied Sea-eagles might turn up in Bundanoon, then dismissing the idea due to our lack of large waterways and distance from the coast, a White-breasted Sea-eagle magically appeared, soaring in the eastern sky, near home. To say I was surprised, would be a grand understatement. WBSEs are irregular visitors to the Southern Highlands. This bird brings my Bundanoon list to 112 species. Other highlights at home today: a Rufous Fantail, thirteen Varied Sittellas, Gang-gang Cockatoo and a Golden Whistler.
Lorne Johnson

Wed 13 Apr Spotted Quail-thrush, Jacky Winter, Dusky Woodswallow, Pacific Baza Bucketty & Murrays Run Area
13 people attended a Central Coast Group, Birding NSW Outing to the Bucketty- Murrays Run area. Single Spotted Quail-thrush were seen near Bucketty and at the Mogo Camp, in Yengo NP off the Settlers Rd (Bucketty-St Albans Rd). A Baza was seen near the quarry at the top of Murrays Run where there were 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles. 4 prs Jacky Winter were during the morning as well as an Azure Kingfisher. Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters & Dusky Woodswallowss were seen at the Bucketty Waterhole and there was a Rose Robin at Mogo camp. 58 species seen during the morning.
John & Carole Carpenter per Alan morris

Spangled Drongo & Caspian Tern] Long Reef
A single Spangled Drongo at the end of the road to the Long Reef headland. A single Caspian Tern on the reef.
Ted Nixon

Cattle Egret Kogarah Bay
Five Cattle Egrets in non-breeding plumage resting on a small patch of mud flats on the shore of Kogarah Bay. They were accompanied by 1 Pied Oystercatcher, 3 Bar-tailed Godwits (not coloured up at all - presumably overwintering) and numerous Silver Gulls.
Roger Giller

Australian Shelduck Moss Vale (livestock sale yards dam area off Berrima Rd.)
Fifteen Australian Shelducks seen circa midday - this is the most I've seen at the dam for some time. Other birds worth mentioning: thirteen Black Swans, a pair of Australasian Shoveler, many Grey Teal, several Fairy Martins.
Lorne Johnson

Tue 12 Apr Powerful Owl and Rufous Fantail Gore Creek Greenwich
About 20 metres along the track at the far end of the park, just past the play equipment the owl was perched in a spindly tree with its catch, a Ring-tailed Possum. The Rufous Fantail was displaying on the edge of the pond below the Lillypilly Falls further along the track. I have not seen either of these in this area before.
Judy Clark

White-bellied Sea Eagle Cnr Elizabeth Dr & Badgery's Creek Rd Luddenham
One White-bellied Sea-Eagle observed at approximately 0930 perched in a dead tree overlooking a large dam. Also in the dam; one Great Crested Grebe and six Black Winged Stilts.
Darren Dunlop

Grey Goshawk West Pymble
One Grey Goshawk flying over the southern part of Avondale GC.
Max de Beer

Mon 11 Apr Flock Bronzewing and Blue-winged Parrot Sturt National park, Tibooburra
100s of Flock Bronzewings coming in to drink at various tanks near Tibooburra. One Blue-winged Parrot at South Myers Tank.
Jeff Davies, Simon Bennett, Rob Drummond aka Dirty Harriers

Sooty Owl Katandra reserve , Holgate, Central Coast
At 815 pm 1 Sooty Owl was heard calling from the look out at Katandra Reserve, To get a better look we walked along the Guringai trail to the Sand Stone walls, from there we called in a male Sooty owl, in the back ground we also could hear another Sooty Owl calling with a non defensive call.( possible female) Male was veiwed for around 15 minuts.
Brad Gabriel, Tim Faulkner.

Australian Brush-Turkey Monash Rd, Gladesville
Woke this morning to the dog whimpering beside the back door. The source of annoyance was an adult Brush-turkey strutting around on the freshly cut lawn. The appearance of this species in Sydney's, almost, inner-west suburbs, seems to be on the increase - recent sightings coming from Lane Cove, Mosman and now Gladesville.
Max Breckenridge

Sun 10 Apr Spotted Bowerbird North Rothbury, urban residence.
Initial observations of Spotted Bowerbird(s) in residential backyard settings by Andrew Zoneff of North Rothbury. Subsequent inquiries (Dan Williams) reported a single bird visiting another residence during feeding of garden birds, including Satin Bowerbirds. Bird observed at this reported residence at 8:25, 8:45 and 9:12am. Level of dependence on handouts by residence could not be ascertained, but the bird displayed far more boldness in the presence of people than local Satin Bowerbirds.
Allan Richardson

Musk Lorikeet Inner Sydney
Numbers were at their peak about 2 weeks back just after the birds arrived in the inner city but still plenty of pairs around Surry Hills, Redfern, Alexandria and Centennial Parklands
Eric Finley

Red-cCapped Robin, Rufous Fantail Castlereagh Nature Reserve
Delighted to see a pair of Red-capped Robin after an apparent absence of over a year at this site. Also a Rufous Fantail, which in many years of watching this site, I've never spotted here before.
John Cresswell

Red-capped Robin, Rufous Fantail Windsor Downs Reserve
One Red-capped Robin (male) and a single Rufous Fantail were seen at the edge of the Windsor Downs Reserve near Sanctuary Drive. The robin was perching on the fence wire near the street.
Ted Wnorowski

Radjah Shelduck Riverside park, Bulahdelah
Our friendly Radjah Shelduck that moves bewteen Bombah Point Ferry on Myall Lakes and Bulahdelah, was present at the latter site at 1300 hrs yesterday. Being a regular visitor to this spot,we finally struck the jackpot for 2011 and saw the bird which was cadging food from picnicers on both sides of th River
Alan & Tim Morris

Double-banded Plover, Bar-tailed Godwit Shoalhaven Heads
94 Double-banded Plovers counted at Shoalhaven Heads. Also present were 35 Bar-tailed Godwits, some in spectacular breeding plumage. 7 Pied Oystercatchers, 6 Red-necked Stints and 6 Red-capped Plovers.
Martin & Penny Potter

Sat 9 Apr Cattle Egret Gloucester
Approximately 50 fledged/juvenile Cattle Egrets present on a little swamp on the southern outskirts of Gloucester and one Intermediate (Plumed) Egret also present.
Tim Morris

Wandering Tattler Soldiers Point Rock Shelf, Norah Head
Single Wandering Tattler (WT) loosely associated with 2 Grey-tailed Tattlers (G-tT's), WT displaying early breeding plumes, G-tT's showing significant breeding plumage. Also present a single Pied Oystercatcher quickly chased away by a pair of Sooty Oystercatchers, 14 Red-necked Stints in partial breeding plumage and 3 Ruddy Turnstones in breeding plumage. Tattlers feeding on rockshelf prey including small crabs, WT foraging within wave washed area.
Allan Richardson

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, Kelp Gull La Perouse
Flock of 38+ Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos. Single Kelp Gull, Peregrine Falcon and Brown Goshawk.
Eric Finley

Fri 1 Apr Wandering Tattler and two Grey-tailed Kingston Pier, Norfolk Is. 2899
We observed a Wandering Tattler in good breeding plumage feeding at the Pier down Kingston. 15min later we were watching two Grey-tailed Tattlers 1/2 km away chasing each other around at Emily Bay.
John and Sue O'Malley

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.