birding-aus

Shooters

To: Wesley Tolhurst <>,
Subject: Shooters
From: Helen Larson <>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 05:59:55 +0100 (BST)
we need more hunters like you.

<')/////==<

________________________________
From: Wesley Tolhurst <>
Sent: Thu, 14 April, 2011 21:15:33

It's great to see someone voicing an opinion in this forum that might not be
the
most popular.  Well done Sandra.

I am a bowhunter although I also have a gun license.  I happen to also be a mad
keen birder.  And I think the two go hand in hand very well indeed.  Without
management, many of our species are destined for extinction.  Conservation
hunters like myself can make a positive contribution to the preservation of our
wild places through reducing feral populations.  And Chris, I would happily
hang
my bow up if we rid the whole country of ferals... what a day that would be.
Too many times I've seen feral cats and foxes stalking and killing birds and
other wildlife to not be stirred into taking up alms on behalf of our weaker
natives.

As for quoting the tragic loss of a freckled duck, while that makes me wince
and
feel sick, imagine how many more freckled ducks have been saved by the
eradication of foxes by ethical conservation hunters.  I could say an idiot
drunk driver killed my friend therefore we should all never drive cars...
policy
should never be made at the behest of the far right or the far left.  If so,
then we are at the mercy of extremism.

I love birds and I hunt ferals.  Hope there's room for all of us.
Wes