birding-aus

Leg Flagging/Banding

To: "birding-aus threads" <>
Subject: Leg Flagging/Banding
From: "Gemfyre" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:15:10 +0800
I'd also recommend tracking down the couple of DVDs Chris Hassell has had produced about waders on Roebuck Bay and banding efforts there. I have not seen these DVDs myself, but I'm sure they will answer a lot of questions.

From my own experience at the occasional cannon netting session in Broome, I
find it hard to believe that these people are doing it purely for their own gain - they go out day in, day out for three weeks, in stifling heat and humidity from dawn to dusk working to net and band these birds in the most efficinet and strees-free way possible. It is an awesome experience, but I wouldn't really call it fun.

It would also seem that the team leaders such as Clive Minton and Chris Hassell are far more concerned about the welfare of the birds than for any of the humans involved. The people can care for themselves, the birds need all the help they can get to be transferred to the most stress-free environment possible while processing (dark, shaded pens - hot sand must be scraped away to reveal the cool beneath), and to be processed in the fastest, most effiecient way possible.

Belinda Forbes
Stirling