birding-aus

Coastal N NSW and Grey-crowned Babblers

To: "Richard Turner" <>, "Nick Leseberg" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Coastal N NSW and Grey-crowned Babblers
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:31:35 +1100
The north coast of New South Wales is a stronghold of the Grey-crowned Babbler but they are very rare within a kilometre of the coastline. The three birds at Yamba (Fred, Wilma and Barney - not their real names) are well known to the local birdos and I have seen them there myself. I have also seen them at Iluka some years ago and near Minnie Water a few years back. However, they are widespread and common throughout the floodplain areas of the Clarence and Richmond Valley, including the Bungawalbin catchment. Despite their abundance, group size has reduced in recent years and this is a concern to many locals. Are smaller group sizes viable?

Greg Clancy
Ecologist and Birding Guide
Coutts Crossing NSW