birding-aus

Are the cassowaries getting enough to eat?

To: "'Alan Gillanders'" <>, <>
Subject: Are the cassowaries getting enough to eat?
From: "Andrew Thelander" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:06:39 +1000
Dear Alan

Thank you and Graham Harrington for this valuable information. I think it
underlines the seriousness of the situation up there and how badly funding
is needed. I had a look at BANQ's website www.birdsaustralianq.org
<http://www.birdsaustralianq.org/>  but couldn't find any details about the
monitoring project or how to donate to it. Any advice?

It has been suggested that loss of genetic variability and in-breeding are a
threat to the Mission Beach cassowaries in their largely isolated and
fragmented habitat. I imagine that the Yasi fatalities will only compound
this negative potential. But, as Graham says, there are so many unknowns.

I hate talking like this but the cassowary has very significant economic
value to the Wet Tropics as suggested by the brand name "Cassowary Coast".
The half a million dollars needed for the feeding program is entirely
warranted in my view as a taxpayer. Indeed, I continue to hold the view that
conservation and research funding in my home state is not adequate overall
and I don't apologise for that view.

I hope that the results of the monitoring project will eventually be made
public and that the lessons learned make their way into DERM's
policy/procedure documents in readiness for the next such event. DERM also
have a very important role to play in dealing with the public in the settled
areas of Mission Beach as people watch birds lose condition and succumb. I
believe that a wildlife care group is getting distressed phone calls and I
expect these are some of the folk phoning talkback radio and complaining.
Maybe DERM need to be more forthcoming with details of what is happening and
what can and can't be achieved so that the public have some idea of the
bigger picture. But I'll leave that to the experts.

Cheers

Andrew

  _____