birding-aus

Are the cassowaries getting enough to eat?

To: Andrew Thelander <>,
Subject: Are the cassowaries getting enough to eat?
From: Helen Larson <>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:43:39 +0000 (GMT)
Nobody is quite sure how our cassowaries are doing and how many they are.....
and I live in Mission Beach.
None have been killed on the roads here since Yasi - drivers are being careful
(so far). We have seen only a few in our area since Yasi, behaving normally.
Forest is growing leaves and some species are mass-flowering but it will be a
good while before all is functioning as it should.
see https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120942903263&ref=ts for input from
locals. It's often difficult to make contact with DERM.

Meantime, may I give a good plug for Rainforest Rescue, who are running an
appeal to assist
feeding cassowaries:  http://www.rainforestrescue.org.au/ourprojects/save-a-rainforest-mission-beach.html ;.

Our normal 'garden birds' have survived, although we have not seen the
mistletoebird since 8 February - was hunting on ground below a Macaranga
looking
for its fallen fruits. Some we know are the same individuals (e.g. by
idiosyncratic song, beak damage etc). Where did these birds hide in a stripped
forest and coastline with 205-285 km/hr winds howling over?
Helen