birding-aus

Leica's warranty and customer service

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Leica's warranty and customer service
From: Jonny Schoenjahn <>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 22:52:30 +0800
Hi all

I seem to be one of very few, if not the only one, who is entire satisfied with
Leica.

Since 1997 I own a Leica spotting scope. Two or three years ago, on a windy
day, the thing fell over when the car-door slammed and hit the tripod. The
scope survived the 2m fall into rocks completely unharmed, only the eye-piece
received 2 major scratches on the ocular. Certainly not a warranty issue.I sent
the eye-piece to Leica Germany asking for a quote to replace the ocular, saying
that it was my own fault. Not 3 weeks later and no questions asked, I received
to my greatest excitement a brand-new eye-piece at no cost. My only expense was
the postage from Perth to Leica.

Last year, my 10-year old Leica bins had a problem with the focus spindle, the
first and only problem I ever had with any Leica equipment. I sent the bins to
Leica Germany, mentioning that the minor scratches on the oculars were old and
could be left like that (Zeiss once had charged my a fortune to replace those
oculars). Before long I receive my bins completely over-hauled including new
rubber armour and, most of all, two new oculars. Again, all I paid was the
postage from me to them. As before, I wrote them a letter thanking them for
their outstanding service.

It was easy and straight forward to send the Leica equipment to Leica Germany,
it wouldn't occur to me to send it anywhere else. Both the scope and the bins I
had bought in Australia, but no-one wanted to see a receipt or asked where or
when I had purchased the units.

Suffice it to say that, from my own experience, I'm happy to recommend Leica
not only but also for their generous and prompt service.

Cheers, and happy birding

Jonny

Jonny Schoenjahn
Perth WA