birding-aus

Fairy Wren plumages

To: <>
Subject: Fairy Wren plumages
From: "Greg Little" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:30:55 +1100
Gooday Aus birders

Can someone please describe or forward an article about or direct me to a
source for information on the plumage changes in Fairy-wrens. We were at
Cattai Wetlands recently and a friend took a heap of photos of Superb Blue
and Red-backed Fairy Wrens. The males were in "eclipse" plumage. The HANZAB
does not appear to have a lot of information about the moult stages other
than saying there is the eclipse moult and a prebreeding moult. I had always
thought that older males retained their full blue plumage year round.

Thanks

Greg Little

Greg Little - Principal Consultant

General Flora and Fauna