birding-aus

Torresian Pigeons

To: <>
Subject: Torresian Pigeons
From: "Carol Abbott" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:08:41 +1100
An unusual request for fellow birders.

I am involved with Wildlife care and we are looking for any birders that are
travelling from

The Whitsundays area to Cairns in the next few weeks - as per the email
below.

Thanks to Cyclone Yasi, I have 3 Torresian Pigeons in care needing transport

to Cairns.

I am in the Whitsundays and would normally release the pigeons here, ready

to migrate with the wild birds north. However there is a lack of wild food

stocks in the cyclone affected area. I believe successful release will be

hampered as there will be nowhere for them to stop off for a feed half way

to Cairns, so feel now that it is best to send to bird carers in Cairns to

be released with others they have in care. I have spoken someone in Cairns

and they are happy to take the birds in. I am loathe to send via regular
transport companies.

Please let me know if you know of anyone who can help.

Regards

Carol Abbott