birding-aus

Two volume Slater field guide

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Two volume Slater field guide
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:57:18 +1100
I came across a reference to a two volume set called "A Field Guide to
Australian Birds", divided into "Passerines" and "Non-passerines", published in
the early 70s. I assume this is the forerunner of the more recent "Slater Field
Guide to Australian Birds"?

It seems to be about the size dimensions, but twice as many pages. Why twice as
many? More text? Bigger pictures?

I also note in the Wikipedia article** about it that

"... it covers the political dependencies Norfolk, Lord Howe, Macquarie, Heard,
Christmas and Cocos-Keeling Islands. This is commendable; for, often these
outposts of the Commonwealth have been sadly neglected ornithologically and for
the first time a fully illustrated guide is available...".

The inclusion of these islands on the Australian list (not Macquarie?) was
discussed here recently, so I thought it might be worth pointing out that it
may have been Peter Slater who started it.

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Field_Guide_to_Australian_Birds_(Slater)

Peter Shute